In my constant battle to find places to put all of my "things" in this small room, I decided to hang my large Faux Marquetry floor samples on the wall. I patched all the holes that were left when I took down some pictures and touched up the spots with the base paint. Next, I went to Home Depot and bought two pieces of corner molding, cut to the size I needed. I used some Stain and Seal I had in my studio to stain the wood and then nailed the pieces to the wall to use as long, shelving. Now my samples are not lying around getting damaged and act as art work on my walls. Modello’s were used for all of the sample designs shown here. You can read more about these samples in a previous post here.
Another project I finally got around to completing is this door. The door was a great score a few months ago, that someone had put out in the trash on their sidewalk in my neighborhood. I had been looking for a door that had these panels, so I could use some for chalkboards and others for bulletin boards. This was a very quick and easy project that cost me nothing but my labor. The door was free and the homeowner even helped me put it into my car. I had an opened roll of adhesive backed cork in my studio that is so old I don’t even remember why I bought it in the first place. (Because it was soooo old, I had to spray the back with some spray adhesive to get it to stick.) The cork was cut to fit 2 of the panels and applied. I painted the remaining three panels with some chalk board paint I also had in my studio. I had a magnetic strip tacked on my wall before, so I decided to add this to the door. Now I have 3 different functions all on this one door: bulletin board, magnetic strip and chalkboard. As you can see, it did not take me long to fill it right up!