I do not have a before photo of my medicine cabinet, but it was very similar to this one pictured, except the mirror had a small crack in the bottom right hand corner. I looked around and could not find a replacement cabinet that a) would fit in this recessed space and b) that I really could get excited about, so I decided to give mine a little makeover.
Here is the finished project and a closer look:
I wanted a mirror that would coordinate with the lighting. To make the frame, I used some yardsticks I’ve had forever in my studio. I cut them to the lengths needed, lightly sanded, and painted with gray paint.
I cut four strips of wire mesh, from a sheet of WireForm I bought at an art store. I then glued these strips onto the four frame lengths with spray adhesive. As soon as I did this, I decided I did not want the mesh on all four sides of the frame, so pulled off the mesh on the 2 longer frame lengths. This left the impression of the mesh, which I liked!
Lastly, I used Liquid Nails to adhere the wood pieces to the mirror and gave the entire frame another coat of sealer. This was a quick and inexpensive fix for this mirror! The crack is covered by the new frame and the design goes well with the new lighting.