I scraped off some large pieces of the finish on the damaged wall to take back to the studio and mix up some glazes. I knew I would have to come back and do the samples right here to get the best match, vs. in the studio.
I returned with some sample boards based and a variety of glazes. After a while, I felt I had a close match. Now that the base color was also determined, I gave this information to the painter and the wall the was prepped for me.
On a plank, over stairs. Never my favorite place to be. The painter was there to spot me and also set everything up very sturdy. Thank God it was only the one wall.
In the end, I felt the match was very close. Here’s a shot of the corner. The left side is the untouched orginal finish and the right is the wall I had to recreate.
Because of the height, the lighting and way too many shadows, I don’t have another shot of the full wall. I also think the good shots I did have were on a cell phone that I lost shortly after this job.
Because of the age of the original finish, I’m sure it was done using oils. The homeowner did not want to use oils and since I was doing just one wall, and the entire wall from top to bottom and side to side, I felt I could still get a good match using all waterbased products.