Today I am featuring a backsplash makeover I just completed for my BF, Bob. His small kitchen is getting a budget friendly facelift, and since I have a few techniques up my sleeve that I want to experiment with, he is allowing me to unleash my brushes and various tools. The first task was to bring a little more interest to the backsplash.
I began by taping everything off, sanding and priming with Stix, which does seem to stick to everything. This primer was left over from another job, so is tinted green, which really won’t make any difference.
Now, you really could stop right here, seal and be done. It’s a nice look. But… of course, I could not do that. I wanted to see something of interest over that sink area.
I made 2 sample boards for Bob. This is not the best photo, but the bottom sample clearly was the winner when we held it up over the sink.
For this design, I used a combination of copper foil and stains. The pattern was created with a template I made and a lot of tape.
A 24" square fit perfectly here.
Close up of details.
Here is the finished look.
Next up… something has to happen with these cabinets. 😉